TIPS ON HOW TO WRITE THE BEST EXTENDED ESSAYS IN BUSINESS
- · Supervisors should advise candidates to choose a question that will enable them to carry
out personal research rather than summarising various secondary sources.
- Supervisors should discourage candidates from using very long bullet-pointed lists.
- Supervisors should advise candidates not to throw away marks unnecessarily on the abstract and presentation criteria.
- Supervisors should advise candidates to choose focused titles, which would allow more of the business criteria to be met.
- Supervisors should ensure that candidates identify relevant theoretical aspects before starting their research and ensure that candidates concentrate on one specific theory or a very small range of theories.
- Supervisors should encourage candidates to use focused, simple research questions.
- Supervisors should encourage candidates to base their research question on a problem or issue that is currently being faced, instead of one that has already been addressed.
- Supervisors should advise candidates - before they begin their extended essays - that the research question should be based upon an organisation that is willing to cooperate and provide information and, if the data is too difficult to obtain, an alternative research question should be considered.
- SWOT analyses should be used and opportunities should be external.